The ABC Trek, popularly known as Annapurna Base Camp or Annapurna Sanctuary Trip is right in the heart of Annapurna Region. Annapurna displays all the best aspects of what nation offers and what you expect from classic treks of Nepal. From ancient kingdoms to marvellous mountain views, we will walk through the stunning Himalayan scene of the Annapurna Ranges. Passing through the Glaciers and walking on the banks of pristine rivers is what ABC Trek offers. Dipping into the hot water at Jhinu and resting at cosy mountain teahouses makes this course a lifelong experience.
At a Glance
Highest Altitude: Annapurna Base Camp(ABC)[4130m]
Days: 7 days
Best Months for ABC Trek: September, October, April, May, December
Food: Typical Nepali Food
Accommodation: Guesthouse, lodge
Permits: TIMS card and ACA Permit
Why ABC Base Camp?
- Walkthrough Dense forests of Rhododendrons
- Chance to explore Unique Gurung Cultures, Traditions and Local Lifestyle
- Enjoy unbelievable eye-catching views of Mt.Machhapuchre and Annapurna Range
- Experience natural hot water bath at Jhinu
ABC Trek Route Map
There are two routes to go to ABC Trek. One is from Nayapul and another one from Phedi. However, you can also climb from one way and descend down in another way. You can get same route map at Ammonite Adventures Office. Depending upon the route, you can also go to Ghandruk village and then to Poon Hill for a beautiful sunshine view.
ABC Trekking Itinerary 10 days
The following Annapurna Base Camp Itinerary is just a recommended route made by consulting the experienced guides. Our recommended course plan includes all the beautiful and most visit places of Annapurna Region of Nepal. However, you can customize the itinerary as per your comfort.
|Day||Itinerary Detail||Estimated Time|
|01||Drive from Kathmandu to Pokhara||6 hours drive|
|02||Pokhara to Nayapul & climb up to Tikhedhunga||1-hour drive + 4 hours hike|
|03||Tikhedhunga to Ghorepani||5 hours|
|04||Ghorepani to Tadapani||6 hours hike|
|05||Tadapani to Chomrong||5 hours|
|06||Chomrong to Doban||5 hours|
|07||Doban to Machhapuchhre Base Camp|
|08||MBC to Annapurna Base Camp(ABC) to Bamboo||6 hours|
|09||Bamboo to Jhinu||5 hours|
|10||Jhinu to Nayapul & drive to Pokhara||6 hours trek + 1 hours drive|
When to go to ABC?
The best seasons to trek in the Annapurna Base Camp(ABC) is during the months of either April – May and October – November which are considered to be peak walking time for any routes of Nepal.
During September, October, November, weather(climate) at Annapurna Base Camps is hot at day and colder at night. The sky remains clear as well as there is very less chance to rain. Find more about why October is best for Annapurna. What’s more for the perfect time to visit? In March, April, May, route becomes reddish as its time to bloom Rhododendrons. You could go during December also if you love less crowd. December offers Dry air and clear sky with the best visibility. However, there is a chance of snowfall. So if you are planning for Dec, you should be prepared with proper ABC Hiking Gears.
Permits for ABC
Trekking Permits are compulsory where ever you go in Nepal. The amount will be used for the conservation of routes. Permits help to track you as well so that, you can be rescued in case of any emergency.
You must have a minimum of 2 permits for Annapurna Base Camp(ABC). They are:-
- Tourist Information Management System(TIMS) Card – $20
- Annapurna Conservation Area Permit(ACAP) – $30
In total, Permits costs you $50. Officials may be check for the documents in certain checkpoints. You can get permits in either Kathmandu or Pokhara (should show your password to get documents). Booking ABC with us, we will arrange all the documents needed during the trek. Find more detail about permits for different regions of Nepal.
The cost of Annapurna Base Camp trekking depends upon the group size, the season, the itinerary you choose and the services you take. Ammonite Adventures is serving more than a hundred of visits each season at just $750 for 10 days. This is probably the best price any company offers for this beautiful and amazing trip to the Annapurna Region of Nepal.
- Accommodation Costs for Hotel: 400 – 500 NPR per night
- Food: 500 – 700 NPR per meal, 200-300 per Breakfast
- Water: Tap Water is Free, 50 NPR per litre of purified water
- Permits: TIMS Card= 20 USD and ACAP= 30 USD = 5500 NPR
- Guide: $20-25 per day
- Porter: $15-20 per day
- Bus to Pokhara and Back to Kathmandu: 2000 NPR
- Miscellaneous(Wifi, Tips, Donation)
Annapurna Course is regarded as a moderate type of trip, it is neither easy nor too challenging route. However, without proper preparation, you may be in trouble. The following points may be some difficulty:
- Altitude Sickness(AMS): you may feel uneasy to breathe and nausea as we will be trekking above 3500m altitude. This can be a serious problem if it’s your first time in the mountains. Walk slowly and keep yourself hydrated to be free from AMS to some extent.
- Physical Fitness: We will be slogging up and down through high cliffs. You should have good level of physical fitness to complete this trip. We recommend doing some physical exercise prior to visit.
- Bad Weather: You should choose the right time to tramp on ABC. The weather may damage your plan. Please check the weather updates before starting. Otherwise, you may miss magnificent mountain views and miss the whole charm of walking in Annapurna.
- Accommodation, Food and Drink: If you are going on your own, you will surely have a problem in finding the right accommodation and proper food. Moreover, they only provide basic facilities. So you must compromise on sleeping as well as eating. In the case of drinking water, you can get tap water for free(which may be polluted). So, bring a water purifier with you.
- Lack of Guides: Although routes are marked, the way to ABC is quite confusing. It’s always better to go with an experienced trekking guide. They know about the routes and make you clear about the cultures and traditions of locals as well.
Things to Prepare
Annapurna Expedition needs some gears and types of equipment that makes you walk easily in the mountains.
- Hiking Clothes
- Sleeping Clothes
- Head Lamps
- Wet Tissues
- hiking Boot
- Money (no ATMs)
- Sleeping Bag
- High Energy Snacks
- Large Backpack (60L)
Having these things will make your walk comfortable and easy. You can buy or rent these things in Thamel, Kathmandu, Nepal. You can find more about trekking gears to hike in Nepal from here.
Foods during ABC Trip
You can get normal Dal, Bhat, Tarkari as a meal. In breakfast, you can have toast, bread and fruits. Generally, at the starting points, you can have Italian dishes(pizza, burger) as well. However, climbing up you will have limited dishes to choose and the prices also go higher. Just imagine how hard is it to take food and prepare for you at those high altitudes.
Accommodation during trip
Starting on the trek, there are well-served rooms for you. Going up, you will get a single bed and a shared room as well as a shared bathroom. The bathroom won’t be attached to your room. You may get wifi in some lodges and may not in other.
How long do we walk every day?
In general, you have to walk 4-5 hours for the trek. But sometime we may only walk 2-3 hours and someday 6-7 hours. For 10 days trip, you have to walk 6-7 hours a day.
What is the highest altitude reached?
The highest point we reach in Annapurna Base camp(ABC) which is at an altitude of about 4200m.
Can I charge a battery on the route?
You can charge your batteries in the route. However, hotels will charge you about $1-$2 for charging. But please carry your charger with you.
Is there a wifi facility?
Wifi is available in some lodges and its not available in other. If available, for this also you have to pay a certain amount($1-2).
Are there ATMs on the way?
No. Actually there are no ATMs on the way to ABC. So, it’s better to carry enough cash with you.
Tips to Climb ABC
If you follow the below tips you can easily make your trip successful and save your costing.
- Follow your guide and walk slowly
- Bring water purifier and Dehydrate yourself
- Carry toiletries
- Bring Battery Backups
- Foods take longer to cook. So, order earlier.
- Do not consume alcohols
- Do physical exercise prior to the trek
- Rent expensive gears instead of buying
- Take some energy bars or chocolates
- Carry enough cash, no ATMs in ABC trail